Thursday, August 26, 2010

AC Trip - HoP and Edgie

So, yesterday Jordan and I ventured down to AC for the day trip. While the actual poker involved was an exercise in mediocrity, I enjoyed the other aspects of the trip, so I look forward to the next chance to team up with HoP for a trip down.

We used my ZipCar account - Jordan had yet to experience the pleasures of ZipCar, and also the heavenly franchise known as WaWa ( an AC mainstay stop for me), so indoctrinated to both, we made our way to the Jersey coastline.

Searching for tourney action, we made a decision to sign up for the Borgata Wednesday 15K, but when we got there at about 10:55, the line for the tournament was all the way out in front of Wolfgang Puck, so with only a day trip and in looking like a deep run would equal a 6 hr tournament, we headed back to the Showboat to play some cash and wait for the 2pm tournament.

Upon arriving...who else would we spot but Dawn Summers and Mary! In turns out the 50 hr+ Showboat freeroll was that day, and both of those degenerates were in attendance. Room for J and I at a 1/2 opened up quickly, and we bid them good luck in the freeroll upstairs.

The 2 1/2 hours I played prior to the tournament were probably some of the most boring hands of poker ever. For the record, I never saw a hand higher than KK the whole trip(once, in the tournament - more on that later), and for the most part ran extremely card dead. I basically fluctuated between 160-225 the whole session, playing players rather than the cards(of which I had none). Jordan was not so lucky the first session - if he wasn't being sucked out on, this guy who reminded me of what the neighbor in Everybody Loves Raymond might have looked like if we ever saw the rest of his face, was slamming the deck with cards, and Jordan was victim more than once. I'll let him report his hands - on to the tournament.

Again - so card dead I couldn't even begin to express it. For the first four levels I did not play a single hand other than the SB or BB, except I think I limped in once with 55(I was dealt 12 small to mid pocket pairs the whole day in cash/tourney, none of which hit the board - I did win with a few, though). In Level 5, with blinds hurtling hiigher to 400/800, I find KK with a little about 13BB. I raise to 2000, and a rather loose player raises to 6000. We've all been here before. Reraise on the Kings...I have to think that as tight as I was playing, no one would raise me with anything but the nuts, but he had about 10K more behind, so I felt AK, even he case KK or QQ as a possibilty, so I shipped it in, saw the aces, and they held up. I left the table having felt the KK to AA sting before, and tried to wash it from my brain as I sat down for more cash.

I arrive at a table with Mary and Jordan seeing that Jordan had recovered and was up about 100. I put the 185 in chips I had from before in my pocket and went to work. this table was a bit more crafty, and while I played some good poker in some spots, two in particular left me wishing I could have stayed longer to win my money back:

The first one was against a COM (Crotchedy Old Man) who had been pushing the table around a bit. Jordan and I disagree about the course of this hand, but I'll do my version. I limp with three other limpers with 10Qos. The flop comes JQK rainbow. I bet 15 and get a COM call. The turn comes a 10 and I get two pair, I bet 22 and COM makes it 50. A 9 or an A crush me, and I felt like an ace was possible, so, after considering I decided there were better spots, I folded showing my 10Q. He flips over 2s7s! Geez! Jordan thought there was a flush draw, which I didn't think was the case as I know there were three red cards and I had the Qs, but who knows really - I still was ahead there and felt bamboozled!

I was up and down, hitting 250 in the session when I suffer a beat due to a bad call on my part when LAAL (Loose African-American Lwyer), who had been splashing a lot of chips limps in and I make it 15 after he and 4 others limp. I get action from COM and LAAL. The lop comes K-10-blank, and LAAL checks. I make a standard C-bet for 20 and get a call., COM folds. The turn is yet another brick, and decide that I might just give up here, so when LAAL checks, so do I. the river is another uninteresting card, and LAAL bets out 50. 50? In looking back I'm realizing that I've let my JJ lose value against a K-rag, but it's a bit difficult to put LAAL on that specific line, as its a weak trap and as loose as he was I figured he would not have limped QQ-AA. AK could have been in his limp range, so could K10. However, there was a club draw on the board and put him on some sort of draw. I don't do enough analysis on this guy's range on the spot, and make the call. He tables K6. I'm down to 160 and stay pretty much there for the remaining hour. The room was running a buffet for free if you play for 2hrs deal, so J and I hit that before we headed back around 730.

So, the trip left me down about $125. Disappointing, and an odd day of poker, but I had a good time with Jordan and perhaps we will invade PA in the future instead. Off to redeem myself at the home of Dawn Summers on Saturday!

So, with tourne

No comments:

Post a Comment