Monday, June 10, 2013

WSOP Trip, June 7-8

Quite honestly I was a bit worn out after the 1st two days, so I didn't really do anything until the $235 Deepstack at the Rio at 3pm.  IT turns out ckbwop(Carol) was playing in it as well, so it was nice to finally meet her!  15K chips, 30 minute levels, 1240 runners.  I really cannot complain about my play, even though I lasted only 5 hours, finshing around 400th.  I hovered around 15K in chips through the first break until a set of 9s filled out to a boat that jumped me up to 35K about 3 hours in.  After some considerable up and down I was at 22K with the blinds at 800/1600/100 when I get QQ UTG.  I ship it and get called by a splashy girl, who had 10K behind.  No biggie, happy to play against her - but then sunglass wearing mullet guy ships it in for 15K!  I have them covered, and sure enough I am ahead preflop. Girl - AdKs, Mullet - AxJx.
By the river I had come in 3rd place behind the girls flush and the guy's straight, and I suddenly find myself with 3BB left.  Two more hands and I was out.  I don't fault the ship here with about 15BB on a weak table.  Nevertheless, it was a tad demoralizing.

This bust freed me out to attend the TPedge event at PT's Pub, which was a lot of fun.  Played some Golden Tee and pool with the guys, had a few beers, and talked poker with everyone.  I definitely hope to make this kind of trip every year.  Even though my birthday was approaching, I was sooo tired, and was in bed by 1am.

the next day was checkout day, with no clear plan on what I would do.  I decided to do one of those single table $125 satellites, and even though I busted it early(X99 flop and my K9 ended up behind a9), I probably should have added more of them to the mix.  10 pays 2 your buyin back plus $550 Tchips(called lammers) that are pretty easy to sell, or use.  Two wins and you're in a WSOP $1K.  One read of malmuth's SNG book and you have a pretty solid advantage, as it seemed like they were filling up quickly with a lot of fishy people.  I decided that bad beat was enough, and I packed my bags and headed home.

But then I realized - I'd hit bad Saturday traffic in LA if I left now - so - curiousity got the best of me, and I stopped at Southpoint.  I'm glad I did!  First, I got a great sushi meal for free because it was my birthday AND I found an incredibly soft table that I sat down at with $150, and left with $410.  The biggest hand there was getting a 9 on the turn for a 10 high straight against another guy's lower straight.

So, the tally for the trip:
Rio 1/3 -270
WSOP $135 BUST  -135
Caesar's $125 Mega BUST -125
Wynn $140 Bounty BUST -140 +$50 Bounty -90
Bally's 1/2 +220
WSOP $235 BUST - -235
WSOP Satty $125 BUST -125
Southpoint 1/2 +260

With the rooms comped,  I ended up down $496.  Obviously my cash advantage in Vegas has been pretty constant, as I am up almost $1K over 7 sessions since September.  I think a more optimal strategy is to play cash in the morning or late evening, and let my results dictate my tournament play instead of the other way around. While I played an ok cash game this week, I pressed for thin value in some hands and ended up beating variance, and I think I did it because I felt the need to play catch-up.  I don't really have the bankroll to beat variance in the tournaments, so if i plan on making this a yearly thing, I need to let my cash game advantage dictate my temp tourney bankroll.

All in all a fun trip, albeit a bit tiring - I'm still playing catch-up sleepwise, but if you've never been, treat yourself and do the WSOP for even just a few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment