Sunday, January 24, 2010

My first post - an exercise in futility?

So, as the Jets met their demise and as I watch the Vikings hurtle to their inevitable berth in the Super Bowl (hyperbole?) I have decided to embark on a solo journey into the blogosphere, like so many other pokerati before me - often have I read the pages of Poker Grump, BWOP, F Train and my friend Jordan of High On Poker fame, almost to the point where I feel like I know them personally. I wonder if THEY wonder who edgie212 is when they face me in the Mookie(although I haven't been much of a force to be reckoned with on that front).

So, in short, this is who I am. My name's Jeff, and I live and work in New York City. I came here to follow my dreams to the Broadway stage, which I've done and achieved many times. You may spot me on an original cast recording on ITunes - you may spy me on TNT in a Law and Order rerun...as far as the acting biz goes, I've done a bit of everything...and in between gigs I work in real estate. There does exist a third, unbridled passion - poker. Initially, this blog will be about my mission to turn my $200 Full Tilt bankroll into, well....something else, hopefully more than $200. I also shamelessly want to participate in the Blogger Challenge on PokerStars. But I aspire to a larger goal, which is to perhaps become one of The Read, and no longer be just a Reader.

So, here is what I have done. I have taken out some money from FT(to pay some bills) and reduced it down to $200. Just before I did this, I made about $25 dollars on Rush Poker, which I have to say is as exhilirating as it is intimidating. While I think it won't take long for the 2 + 2'ers to start formulating plausible strategems to beat this sucker, I've found it to be pretty simple in the outset...tight is right, 4bet your big hands, limp when you can with speculative hands late, or, just raise in late position if nobody has come behind. I'd say about 4 out of 5 times I've raised late with no one behind, the small blind follows suit and the big blind presses quick fold once I've raised. I think as this fad becomes fixture, people are going to get keen to this - I've been interested in what people have had to say so far.

So, skill set - I'm a decent live player - an overall winner in cash games here in town, and I've cashed in several tournaments in AC, Vegas and other places. I'm a NLHE player primarily...I enjoy Stud Hi and Razz(and fare well with these games online), and I'm steadily learning PLO and other Omaha variations - but I still have a lot to learn on that front. I'd say that I am a weaker online player on all fronts - I tend to build a bankroll and then play beyond it, then the untimely demise of aforementioned bankroll - no more of that. My rules will stay firm. I will never risk more than 5% of my bankroll - EVER. I will endeavor to even keep my MTT action BELOW 5%, but I will play SNGs at 5%.

So, a shout out to all you bloggers...I'm ready to join the big time. Meanwhile, I'll be watching the Vikings win.

No comments:

Post a Comment